5.12.2003

Well, I got the DVD/VHS player. What a process, though! First getting a machine that added high-pitched squeaks and chirps to DVD sound; then going to the store to be told I need an adapter to use the RCA jacks because "no DVD player will work with a coaxial cable;" then going home to find the new method of connection blocks any connection between the two machines; then at least a half-hour of troubleshooting on the phone with a totally inarticulate salesboy who advised me to buy even more equipment to make the setup work; all to take it back to the store again to be told I was right the first time and the machine was defective! This is only the short version of the story, of course, as the details would be way to boring to read. But it sucked up hours of a day that I should have spent at the park relaxing, and pissed me off at salespeople who don't know their products and try to make me feel stupid for having a machine that doesn't work. Technostress. Joy joy.

I've read most of the blogging book I mentioned earlier, but I'm finding that it doesn't quite meet my needs. The author's intended audience seems to be total web novices, and so she spends a lot of time on definintions, shoring up the potential blogger's confidence, talking about blog community and philosophy, outlining proper netiquette, helping you set up a blogging schedule, and so on. On the positive side, she's got a warm, approachable tone, a supportive attitude, and the book is full of good links and advice for those new to web publishing. Not great for specific DIY tips and tricks, which is what I was hoping for when I checked it out, but if you are thinking of looking into the whole weblog thing and don't know where to start, this book might be a good place. The title? The weblog handbook: practical advice on creating and maintaining your blog, by Rebecca Blood. See the author's blog at Rebecca's Pocket

One of the good links included in the book is that to librarian.net. Surf to your heart's content....

ds12.5.2003

No comments:

Post a Comment