5.09.2003

So. A couple of weeks ago, I bought a TV from a friend who's moving. And this weekend, I'm hoping to go shopping for a DVD/VHS player. So what, you say? What's the big deal? Well, it's a big deal for me because this will be the first time in seven years that I have actually had a television in my home. I've been without ever since I left my parents' place in 1997.

Now you all think I'm a freak. You're thinking you could maybe understand how someone could live without a cell phone, or without a home computer, but how can someone survive without a TV? Well, when I first left home I was too poor. Then when I moved back to Edmonton to do my Masters, I figured that I was good enough at distracting myself from schoolwork as it was without the added attraction of television. After that I was so used to keeping myself busy other ways that the expense of the equipment and the montly fee for cable seemed too much to pay for something I was doing just fine without. So why the change in attitude? I admit: the thing that tipped me over the edge was a desire to watch The Prisoner on DVD, and the thought that if I had the equipment I could use bellydancing instructional videos at home. So, here we go. Reentering the land of the wired, even if only in a small way.

Got to admit, though, part of me wonders if it will change my home life too much; if the Lure of the Screen will pull me away from all the books I'm trying to read and all the other stuff I'm trying to do until I'm a total couch potato doing nothing but watch videos all day (still not getting cable. I'm not ready! Don't push me!). Not like I haven't got a lot of precedent in stalling my attempts at personal growth and development with sudden needs to immerse myself in light fiction/socializing/whatever works as the excuse-of-the-moment. Well, we'll just have to see how it goes.

My search for Canadian employment continues this week as I put together my lastest application, this time for Queen's University. Last time I was hunting the academic positions were not forthcoming; I'm hoping for better (or faster!) luck this time. Luckily there are quite a few openings in and around Ottawa lately, which is where I'd prefer to go next. This position looks pretty good--it's in a Humanities library, and I have all of the required and most of the preferred experience, so with any luck I'll at least get an interview.

Ever the bookworm (what can I say, it's a vocational hazard), I've taken a book out from the library on blogging. So maybe this page will get a whole lot more exciting soon. Or, hey, maybe not... Stay tuned and we'll see.

ds9.5.2003

No comments:

Post a Comment