5.17.2003

Some news: I managed to lose the Broward County Library Association Vice Presidential election yesterday. It went to a co-worker instead. The funny thing is that neither of us were really sure we wanted the position, so I was campaigning for him, and he was campaigning for me! So by losing the election, I actually won. Go figure!

I've been wading my way through Kenneth Branagh's massive Hamlet this weekend. And unfortunately it is a bit of a long haul. I was predisposed to really like this movie--I must have seen Henry V in the theatre 4 or 5 times, and I really liked Much Ado About Nothing as well despite the wooden performance by Keanu Reeves. But this one is leaving me cold. The sets, costumes, lighting, and much of the camera work is gorgeous, but I keep on thinking something to the effect of, "gee, that's not the right way to play that scene," or, "boy, the impact of that moment was totally lost the way he directed it," and so on. Oh well....I'm only halfway through the four-hour marathon; perhaps the last half will be better!

Expat strangeness: I heard a spot on Cape Breton fiddler Ashley MacIsaac on NPR on my way to work. Totally different perspective than the info I've seen in the Canadian press! At home, we get reports about him swearing onstage and berating his audiences, erratic behavior that includes wearing kilts the "traditional" way and then allowing himself to be exposed, and his numerous financial problems. Within the last 6-8 months, I've read stories of his numerous debts, complex bankrupcy proceedings, and apparent racist comments during a concert a few days ago. Whereas on NPR, he's a "good businessman" who's moved past his "early mistakes and bad-boy behavior" which mostly stemmed from not being able to handle the pressures of fame at such a young age! I've got nothing against the guy, and I respect him as a musician, but I think I detect some major spin going on here! If you're interested, see and hear the story Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment