5.05.2003

Okay. So obviously I'm *not* a good, regular blogger, filling all of you in on the details of my life. Somehow, it seems like an exercise in hubris to keep an online diary. Who would find the details of my life interesting? Would anyone ever visit it? Do I have anything at all interesting to say? And so on. So I'm going to start again, reminding myself that this is more of an exercise for me than something to show the world. Though I guess if I did update it regularly, friends and family could visit to see what I'm about.

Activities since the beginning of the year have been varied. Professionally, I moved to another location. So I'm out of the the emotional and physical toxic waste pit that was my old library, and in a newer building with less dust, less mold, and a much better work environment. I give you.....Southwest Regional Library! I originally moved into the Adult Reference Department, but a little over a month ago I transferred within my department to become the Librarian I in the Computer Technology Centre. This means I work the Lab desk more, the Reference Desk less, am responsible for computer troubleshooting, and teach more classes to both fellow staff and the public. I also get to supervise 2 paraprofessionals, which should fill a big gap in my resume. So far it's going pretty well.

Last month, I gave a presentation at the Florida Library Association's Annual Conference in Orlando, as part of a panel on joint-use libraries. See my PowerPoint presentation Here. Click on the slide background to start things rolling.

I also got rooked into running for Vice President/President-Elect of the Broward County Library Assocation. I'm hoping the other guy will win. So VOTE FOR NEIL!

Personally, I've been getting more involved in the local arts scene. I'm still doing the bellydance classes, which are going well. I got promoted to the Advanced class, which makes things a whole lot more challenging! Often I feel I'm in over my head, but it's also given me more motivation to practice at home, which makes it all good. Myriam (my teacher) has also started hosting monthly performance parties at a local cafe, and she has mentioned the possibility of my signing up to be a featured performer/soloist at one of these gatherings. This scares me, especially when I see the level most of the other performers are at. But didn't I tell myself I was going to stop fearing/watching/reading, and start doing? I've said I will maybe dance in July. We'll see if I keep my nerve up. Hopefully I'll have some dancing pictures of myself to post soon, too.

So why don't we give you some bellydance links:

Shira's site is put up by a California dancer and is very comprehensive. There are instructional tips, photos, video and book reviews, articles, history, zill rhythm diagrams...you name it, you can probably find at least a little bit about it here.

Aziza Sa'id's Middle Eastern Belly Dance Site is another comprehensive resource.

bhuz.com is an online directory and forum with message boards, an online journal, teacher and dancer listings, online store, and more.

Did you know that men bellydance too? DaVid has a huge list of links for your edification.

Morocco has got to be one of the foremost dancers and middle eastern dance authorities in the United States. She also was my instructor's "most influential" teacher. Learn about her and benefit from her experience on her site.

That enough to get you started? :)

On other arts fronts, after a long haitus from theatre, I managed to get a part in a local production of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum put on by Broward on Broadway. I landed the part of Philia, the blond, not-to-intelligent virgin courtesan who wants to escape her contract with a famous Captain in order to be with her true love, Hero. Don't think we could have had any more fun putting on this show, and to my great surprise and pleasure, nearly all my friends came out to see it. Want to see some photos? Click here! I'm the one in the white...well...one of them.... It was great to get back on stage again. Another group here is putting on a production of Sweeney Todd in the fall, and I've signed up to audition.

Still picking at my guitar here and there, though I haven't had a lot of time/energy for it lately. Also trying to start up a regular yoga practice again, as a complement to the dancing. Ambitious? Me? All I know is this stuff, along with Michael, is what is keeping me sane.

Just about time for me to sign off here. I'll leave you with one last link: Bookcrossings, a totally cool place to set your previously read books free into the wild. I'm hooked!

--ds5.5.2003

No comments:

Post a Comment