6.29.2003

Michael and I are back from Toronto. We had a pretty good conference all told, though the placement center was disappointingly small and I did not find a job. Or even a good job to apply for, for that matter. I did get my resume critiqued, though, as well as some ideas from the session about alternative careers for MLIS holders. I have seen more postings coming up on the CLA and FIS sites, so hopefully it will not be too long before something comes up.

Overall the conference was hectic but good. I got to see quite a few people from library school days, and some of the speakers were really good. There were some big names for the opening/closing/president's program sessions, including Gloria Steinem, Rex Murphy, Ralph Nader, and Naomi Klein. The last two in particular were especially interesting; I'm reading Naomi Klein's book, No Logo, right now. I hoped to see one of my favorite authors, Charles de Lint, too, but I missed him! He was only there for part of one day, and I visited Tor/Forge's booth the day after. Oh well...

On the whole, we seemed to hit the ground running on Friday night and hardly pause for breath until we got back on the plane to go home. Besides the big talks, I attended sessions on publishing, intellectual freedom, reference service, and library history. We had a day and a half after the conference ended for sightseeing, which we spent exploring downtown Toronto. We visited the St Laurence Market, and had a facinating tour of the CBC buildings--we saw the reference library as well as the radio and television studios, including the set of The National. Michael visited the Hockey Hall of Fame and picked up a couple of souvenirs. We were thinking of taking a day tour to Niagara Falls, too, but we had to leave that for next visit.

It was great to be able to get around on foot again--I haven't walked so much in a long time! It was also refreshing to be back in a city that takes recycling and public transport seriously. Hard for us both to face coming back to Ft Lauderdale, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment