7.25.2013

why your stylist hates henna

Having finally "refreshed" my hair yesterday, I feel predisposed to write a post on henna for hair. I've been henna-ing my hair for the past...5 years, maybe more. When I visit a new stylist, the reaction to my hair is invariably the same: an initial enthusiastic comment on the "incredible" colour followed by an uneasy and/or negative response to my explanation on how that colour is achieved. Yes, it's likely your stylist hates henna, and while it's annoying for those of us who use it, upon reflection it's really understandable why they might. So the topic for today is:

Top 7 Reasons Your Hairstylist May Hate Henna


They Were Not Taught About it in School

...Because really, growers from Rajasthan are hardly going to be sponsoring classes at the local beauty college. Most hairstylists have no reason to learn anything about henna. The vast majority of their clients won't use it. They themselves almost certainly never will. Outside of ethnic communities, henna is still somewhat of a "fringe" product.

When They Are Taught, They Get Misinformation

I had a stylist tell me that product buildup was due to the henna I used months prior, because henna "coats" the hair. Henna does not "coat" hair to dye it any more than it "coats" your skin in mehndi applications. Stories about henna being bad for hair, turning hair green, and causing hair to "melt" after subsequent chemical treatments abound. While it is true that it is difficult to impossible to remove the red from hennaed hair, for the most part high-grade, Body-Art-Quality (BAQ) henna will not damage your hair and will not preclude many other chemical treatments. Which caveat leads into my next point:

Poor Henna Products Lead to Henna Horror Stories

The "henna" you see at the Natural Food Store, promising a wide array of colour results, is not anything remotely resembling BAQ henna. Neither is the grey, dusty stuff in the bulk bin at Whole Foods, or the box on the "ethnic" shelf of your supermarket. If you're lucky, it's just henna that is old and has lost its staining power. And if you're not, you don't just have inferior henna powder. You've got a host of additives as well, including the dreaded mineral salts that cause many of the problems referenced above. When people have problems with adulterated products, or try chemical treatments on top of them, it's the stylist who gets to attempt to salvage the resultant disaster. No wonder they shy away from henna: they never know what you may really have in your hair.

Even when you have good henna, though, it's not really a very salon-friendly product:

Henna Gives Transparent Colour Coverage

With chemical colour, what you see is essentially what you get. With henna, what you get is a red/auburn overlay on top of your natural colour. Black and dark brown hair will never get more dramatic than red highlights. Light blonde, grey, or white hair, on the other hand, will go a bright neon orange (take a look at this Google image search to see good examples of the effect of henna on white or grey hair). Not being suitable for all hair types, and often requiring experimentation, henna is therefore of limited use in a salon setting.

The Initial Result is Not the Final Result

As it does on skin, henna on hair starts out bright and brash and mellows over the next few days. Pictures from my first henna application are a good demonstration of this effect. The first photo was taken the evening I rinsed out the henna paste; the second, 2-3 nights later:

Safe to say, that anyone without prior experience would not be happy with a change this drastic. Especially if they had to leave the salon not knowing what the final result would be. Henna-ed hair results also change after multiple applications--after years of use, my hair colour is now much different.

Even with Good Products, Results Can Vary

Again, personal experience can illustrate: when I repatriated to Canada from the UAE, I had to find a new place to get my hair supplies. I ordered the same, well-known brand I use successfully for body art. Due to my familiarity with the product and my personal relationship with the seller, I know I got quality powder. Yet no matter what I did, this henna never started out with better than an anemic gold tone and didn't develop into the colour I knew and loved. My next order, I went with a different brand and got back to the bright-orange-mellowing-to-red that I was used to. Why did the first brand not give me the results I wanted? Who knows? It simply seems to have not liked my hair. And again, salons cannot deal with that kind of uncertainty.

Finally, Henna is Time Consuming

Once applied, henna has to sit on your hair for up to 4-6 hours. Which is fine if you are spending a day at the hammam, or hanging out at home, but not ideal for a business that needs to consider space and turnover.

Justified or not, I doubt that salon stylists will be changing their opinions on henna very soon. However, if you understand why they are leery of it, it's easier to start a conversation about it--and to come to agreement on the best care and treatment of your hair. Any questions about henna for hair? Let me know in the comments!

16 comments:

  1. Yep, all very true. The last time I got my hair cut the stylist told me that she wasn't a fan of henna because it dries out the hair. I have no idea where she got that idea. I've been colouring my hair with henna for about ten years now and it's always so soft and silky after a henna treatment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:31 PM

    Well said! Henna-ing one's hair is more of a mysterious exotic adventure than the generally predictable results with chemical dyes and bleaches. One must have a sense of adventure and resourcefulness rather than a purse full of money to spend at the salon.
    I am a henna girl forever because: I couldn't afford the $200 salon fee; my hair is falling out due to illness; and I wanted to purge as much chemical and artifice from my life as possible.
    And even though my hair continues to fall out...it grows much faster than it ever has in my entire 50 years. The hair I do have...is shiny and lush with vibrant colors ranging from chestnut to red-orange streaks to deep, lustrous red.I buy BAQ henna for $5 - $10 from local East Indian stores (although I would dearly love to afford to buy the really good stuff online!) and have done several friend's hair, and love the Henna Night bonding we share.
    ~ Lalah xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lalah, I WISH I had someone to help me with my hair sometimes--it would be a lot less messy than doing it myself! I love the range of colour henna brings too--so different than flat boxed single process colour.

    I get my henna powders from Henna Sooq--www.hennasooq.ca if you are in Canada, www,hennasooq.com if you are elsewhere. You might check them out if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought a block of henna for my hair but I am super scared about applying it because i am a messy person and it might get on my skin/face/floor/cats. Do you have any suggestions on how to prevent this? When I dye my funky colors I use Vaseline at my hairline to keep it from dripping on my face. Would that work with henna? Oh Miss Darcy I need your help! Can't you just come back to Florida and do it for me??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES Vaseline works around your hairline, ears, and neck. Even if you do get it on your skin, henna does not stain very well in those areas, so at worst you will get a faint stain that will disappear in a day or two. I tend to skip the Vaseline, because I hate the feel of it on my face, and wear a scarf or a headband for the first couple days. Any stray blobs won't last if you wash them off right away.

      The one thing you should be sure to do is wear gloves (you can get latex ones in bulk at the grocery store), or you WILL have orange hands! And that stain will not go away as easily. The cats won't care if they have henna polka dots :)

      Unless your bathroom surfaces are really porous or something, it should wash off them just fine. The only thing I've seen retain a stain was a painted wall, and then it was very faint and did, eventually, disappear.

      Check out the Henna Page--they have a free ebook and some how-to videos on henna for hair. Or come sleep in my spare room and I'll do it for you!

      Delete
    2. P.S. for some reason your comment went through twice...I deleted the duplicate.

      Delete
    3. Thanks! (sorry for the repeat messages)

      Delete
    4. Judi... we could do each other's hair one day! I do henndigo... 2/3 henna and 1/3 indigo ;)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:00 AM

    Anyone knows how long before an already mix product will work? must be used 4/5 hours after mixing or 1 day??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:41 AM

    I usually mix & let it sit for 4 hours then apply & leave on 4/5 hours however yesterday I mixed it then had to go out and returned late at night so can I still use it with good results or not??
    GIGI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi it does depend on the brand of henna you use, but I have often mixed the night before I applied and let it sit for approximately 24 hrs and got good results.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous12:24 PM

    Have any of you guys used lush henna blocks? Are they the same quality as the resources listed? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not used Lush henna, but I have heard, at best, mixed reviews of it.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete