1.28.2005

entering the new world

Well, things are just about in place for our move. I've been distracted with preparations, packing, and things to do, so I haven't had much of a chance to post lately. But, my house is pretty much packed, Michael's is the same, we have truck and friends lined up for tomorrow, and hopefully everything will go well.

We did hit one problem, finally--our apartment will not be ready for us until tomorrow afternoon, instead of in the morning. We had arranged for our lease to be begin on tomorrow's date, and made all our plans accordingly. Then I went to pick up the keys yesterday and found out about the delay. Maintenance staff are apparently not quite finished yet--they still need to clean the carpets. Thanks to some pushing on my part, they've moved the time we can have it up to 2, instead of 5 or later, and the people at the office said that they would work tomorrow to see if it can be ready even earlier. But considering our moving truck is supposed to be back at 6 it's going to be tight, and we only even have that much time because Michael was able to call UHaul and change our reservation time. Whew. Well, we'll do what we can do. Worst comes to worst I suppose we can use the truck for the furniture etc and shuttle boxes back and forth for a day or two afterwards--we're not really mandated to be out of our apartments until the 1st.

The other bad news is that I fell on the concrete steps outside my apartment yesterday, landed really strangely on my foot, and now I am limping, moving more slowly than usual, and in some pain. Wouldn't be so big a deal except I am supposed to be rushing around moving boxes tomorrow! Actually, my first thought was maybe I'd broken something in my toe or the ball of my foot, but I am assuming that if that was the case I would have got worse, rather than better, overnight, and that I would have more pain and difficulty walking. So I'm probably going to end up feeling more useless than not tomorrow.

In other news, I finally broke down and ordered a cell phone and service plan from letstalk.com today. TMobile was running a promotion through them with 1000 minutes per month included plus free nights and weekends for $39.99. The phone I chose--Motorola V600--will be free after the rebate and includes features like caller ID, voicemail and a camera. I will admit the idea of getting a camera phone was pretty fun. I actually hate the rudeness of most cell phone users, and never thought I'd get one, but the frustrating, world-is-built-for-cell-phones-and-I-don't-have-one moments got too much. Hanging around all day at home waiting for my mechanic to call, getting caught in traffic with no way to tell people I may be late to work or appointments, never being able to find a public phone, and so forth. Plus, I do a lot of solo driving, so I suppose it makes safety sense too. I was actually divided over the decision, so I guess only time will tell whether it will actually be worth it.

Weather here has been cooler. We got down to 45 degrees or lower overnight quite a few times last week, and I even had to turn on my heat for a few days! The tile flooring makes my current place cooler, and since no building plans in South Florida include basics like insulation, tight windows, or weatherstripping, you feel the cool temperatures indoors more than you do at home.

And that's the news...more updates to come after the move is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment